Greek League suspends gaming operations
After PAOK Saloniki’s president stormed onto the field with a weapon in the game against AEK Athens, the Greek government is now taking action.
After another outcry, the Greek government ordered the interruption of the domestic football championship “We have decided to stop the league. Without an agreement from all sides, there will be no restart,”said Deputy Sports Minister Georgios Vassiliadis after a meeting with Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras on Monday.
On Sunday, the top match between cup winner PAOK Saloniki and front-runner AEK Athens was in the 90th minute. PAOK owner Ivan Savvidis ran into the court with a gun on his belt. The referee had previously refused to recognise the hosts’ alleged lead goal. The Greek government is “in close contact” with the European Football Union (UEFA), Vassiliadis said.
Already on the 25th. In February, the PAOK stadium was a sensation. During the game against Olympiakos Piraeus, guest coach Oscar Garcia was hit in the head by an object thrown out of the audience. The game was 3-0 for Olympiakos, but the deduction of three championship points was cancelled on Sunday.
In response to the punishment initially imposed, angry PAOK fans stormed the TV studio of the state-run channel ERT 3. The moderator was forced to read a letter of protest for five minutes. Among other things, it stated that the punishment was “the biggest sports scandal in history”. However, the fans left the TV studio peacefully and nobody was arrested.